Howelsen Hill, located in downtown Steamboat Springs, offers affordable skiing and snowboarding for all levels. On any given day you can find present and future Olympians training at Howelsen.
- Annual Snowfall: 150.0in / 381cm
- Area: 50 acres
- Base Elevation: 6696 ft / 2036 m
- Summit Elevation: 7136 ft / 2170 m
- Hours of Operation: Closed for the 2015-16 season
- Season Dates: November 2016—March 2017
- Notes: Howelsen Hill is Closed for the 2015-16 season.
- Address: 845 Howelsen Parkway Steamboat Springs, CO, 80477
- Main Phone Number : 970-879-8499
- Email: email@example.com
- Closest Airport: Yampa Valley Regional HDN
- Miles from Denver: 162
Best Known For
Howelsen is the oldest continuously operating ski area in Colorado, running since 1915, and has the largest and most complete natural ski-jumping complex in North America. Howelsen Hill is also the home of the Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club, the oldest ski club west of the Mississippi, and provides training in alpine, nordic, freestyle, and snowboarding for beginners to Olympians.
Did You Know?
Howelsen has been the training ground for more than 79 Olympians making over 130 Winter Olympic appearances, 15 members of the Colorado Ski Hall of Fame, and 6 members of the National Ski Hall of Fame.
Howelsen Hill was recently acknowledged as a "Pioneer Ski Resort" by the International Skiing History Association and the Colorado Ski and Snowboard Museum and Hall of Fame.
- Nordic Trails: 21 kilometers / 13 miles
- Elevation: 6,696 feet at the base and 7,136 feet at the peak
- Lifts: Double Chair, Poma Surface, Small Magic Carpet, and the Boardwalk
- Number of Trails: 17 Alpine and 9 Nordic
- Snowmaking: 50%
This just in
See more from Howelsen on our blog.
Free Ski Days
Howelson Hill hosts free ski days throughout the season, which are from 10 am to 4 pm and include a ski jumping clinic taught by coaches from the Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club. The next two free ski days are Sunday February 26 and Sunday March 12. Visit www.steamboatsprings.net/ski for more information and a full list of free ski days.